A beautiful weekend at the Oregon Coast

Feb 23, 2010


Last weekend I was in Cannon Beach, Oregon, and we were spoiled with June-like weather!  Located just 80 miles west of Portland, city dwellers flock to the small coastal town when it's sunny and warm.  Its famous landmark is Haystack Rock, which is 235 ft tall and has been featured in many Hollywood films. 


On Saturday, we strolled down Hemlock Street to the town's center.  It's practically ritual to stop in a candy store at an Oregon beach town and get saltwater taffy.  I never really liked the stuff when I was a kid, but now I want it every time I'm at the coast! 


Like candy stores, art galleries are aplenty at the coast.  I went inside this glassworks gallery called Icefire.  I love these heart-shaped forms that were in the studio.  They feel like a stone but are made out of glass.  The glass is etched with hydrofluoric acid, which is a process that has been used by artists since the 17th century. The one shown here was my favorite one in the gallery.  I adore the color combination and pattern.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...