O Tannenbaum has a new felt skirt

Dec 13, 2009

Yesterday, I mentioned making a crocheted star topper for our tree.  I ended up making a new tree skirt instead!  I had this idea of a scallop pattern made out of felt.  I stopped by the craft store to check out the felt selection and found some felt made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles.  Nice!  So I picked up a few yards and headed on my merry way home.

The first thing I did was cut out a large circle.  To get a decent shaped circle, I folded the felt square into fourths and cut an arc through all four layers.  To create the scalloped edges, I lined up half circles one row at a time starting with the outermost edge.  After pinning the shapes to the foundation layer, I sewed the layers together.  I repeated this step until I reached the inner circle.   (For a circle template, I used a CD.  Then I cut the felt circles in half to make the scalloped shapes.)


The tree skirt project took up a good part of the day.  All I have left to do is sew some bias tape as a finished trim onto the edge of the inner circle.  I'm thinking fire engine red would be fun and festive.

Update: Here's what it looks like finished!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am making this tree skirt tomorrow! YAY!

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...