Mindful Living

Mar 3, 2010


For the past five years I have been committed to living a more consumer-responsible life, and to be honest, it's been one of the hardest things I've done.  There are three questions that I ask myself when buying something.  How was it made?  Who made it? And, Do I really love it?  These questions touch on the issues of fair labor and sustainable practices.  And, having been a retailer of ethically made products the last three years, I can tell you that options for new, socially-responsible products are still very slim, especially when the budget is small.  So, in the last few years, I have made by hand a lot more things than I really wanted to and I have spent more time in resale and antique stores than boutiques and malls.  I have also learned to be more content and resourceful with the things that I already have. 

Photos from left to right:
1.  I needed a new make-up bag and ended up making one
2.  A felt tree skirt that I designed and made this past Christmas
3.  Our vintage danish couch that I found at Goodwill for $49
4.  My favorite bag.  It's recycled leather.
5.  Vintage Red Wing bowl I found at an antique store
6.  Recycled glass votive holder made by a local artisan in Seattle
7.  Instead of buying new patio furniture last summer, I sanded and refinished our table and chairs 
8.  I try to buy local art products as much as possible

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...