Artists I Like: Clare Bowers

Apr 20, 2010


Yes, I do like diamond clusters and cuddly animals and mountains in rainbow colors.  So when I came across Clare Bowers' art on Etsy, it was like she was reading my mind.  I love how she builds up  different layers and materials to create a visual melody of pattern and texture.  I recently contacted Clare and asked if she would share a few words about her art.  Here's what she had to say.

When I was a little girl, I used to write tiny notes and leave them inside hollowed out acorns.  I wanted to believe in magic and I figured if I found a secret note inside of an acorn, I would've thought that was pretty dang magical.  Like, maybe an elf wrote it?  Or a squirrel?  I like doing what I can to promote magic and wonder, but that's not really why I make things.  I make things because I have always needed and wanted to make things. 


Right now, I'm interested in creating art that doesn't have a specific story behind it.  I think people are connected by the feelings underneath our individual stories, and I'd rather connect with someone than tell them a story.   I love geometric shapes and patterns.  I'm inspired by nature, by plants and animals, and by the Northern California landscape- the texture and shape of skyscrapers, redwood trees, abandoned buildings, graffiti, the fog, the Russian River and the Pacific Ocean. 


Clare is currently taking a short break while she works on larger pieces and sculptures for her next show in October at Mina Dresden Gallery in San Francisco.  You can see her current collection in her Etsy shop here and on Flickr here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...