Artists I like: Yukari Miyagi

Dec 28, 2010


Line is the most basic element of art, yet it takes an adept artist to render a subject using a few simple lines.  I have always been captivated by the organic line drawings of Picasso and Matisse, so it only seemed natural that I would instantly be enamored by the beautiful art of Yukari Miyagi.  Her child-like illustrations have been featured in numerous international magazines and books, including this one based on the Little Red Riding Hood.
 


I always find it exciting when art and product design come together.  This classic tote takes on a fresh look with Miyagi's animated lines and colors.  See more of her product collaborations here.

5 comments:

Charissa said...

Delicious. Thanks for sharing.
: )

Craig Daniels said...

Lovely, thanks. Have you seen Calder's line drawings of animals?

Craig Daniels said...

Found a link to a google book with Calder's drawings:

http://books.google.com/books?id=i_vaIWn84PoC&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&dq=calder+line+drawings+animals&source=bl&ots=9AMPyJWTQ4&sig=I2ZcG2Wz0d-2283tfueU4B8a_UA&hl=en&ei=RnQbTYCOLoeisAP-yIzJCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CEIQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Genevieve said...

Thanks for introducing me to her work!

I remember as a kid the first time I saw one of Picasso's line drawings. I was surprised and so taken by the ease, the casualness, how very little line he actually even used and yet...it was perfect.

Cathy said...

Craig, Calder's animal line drawings are fantastic! I'll have to add it to my book wish list.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...