My art fair finds

May 3, 2011


Art fairs are a test of my self-control as a shopper, and often times, I fail.   It helps to be a vendor at the art fair, so that you're stuck in an 8 x 8 ft space for most of the day.  But even then, it only takes a few minutes for me to find several must-have products while on a break. . . I'm an efficient shopper to a fault. 

Artist Jill Bliss was my neighbor at the Rieke Art Fair this past weekend, so I didn't have to go far to find a number of things I wanted to take home with me.  I snatched this lovely (and huge!) paper weight, which was her last one.  I really don't have a need for a paper weight, but I couldn't resist its crystal ball likeness.  When my youngest daughter, who collects snow globes, asked if it could be hers, I quickly replied, "Nope. It's mine."  All mine, I thought.  I think I'll call it my precious


Both Jill and I love to draw things in nature.  She just came out with a new drawing book that is quite brilliant.  There are nearly 200 pages of art instruction, beautiful drawings, and plenty of blank space for the inspired artist. 



I taught drawing for many years, and trust me when I say there aren't enough great instructional books on drawing.  This is one art book that I'll definitely keep in mind when shopping for an enthusiastic learner. 



I have a weakness for handmade sketchbooks, and it took me all of 10 seconds to claim this one as my own.  I was chatting with Clare Carpenter of Tiger Food Press when I spotted the hand printed and bound artist book in her booth.  This is what it looks like on the inside:    


The pages are in an accordion design!  My plan is to draw one very long illustration.  If I make it past page three, I'll count it a success!



Here is another hand bound book I bought from Clare.  The floral cover is vintage wallpaper, and there are two silk ribbon ties.  My brother is getting married this month, and I thought this would make a perfect wedding guest book. 

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 

Also . . .


Sunday Brunch is an online dress shop that features an artist each month.  On their home page, they pair an art work with a dress that complements it.  I'm flattered that the New York-based shop chose to feature my art for the month of May!  As part of the feature, I wrote some thoughts about my art and fashion.  You can read it here



1 comments:

Charissa said...

What a fun post! I felt like I was shopping vicariously. The pairing of your art and that dress is really nice, too.
: )

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...