Stay gold

Apr 17, 2013


Portland sunsets never cease to amaze me.  The other evening, the sky looked like it was on fire.  Like a moth to light, I was completely drawn to the orange sky.  So beautiful, yet so temporary.  I'm reminded of Robert Frost's poem, Nothing Gold Can Stay.

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.


If you've read The Outsiders (one of my favorite books growing up), then you're familiar with the famous utterance based on Frost's poem, "Stay gold, Ponyboy."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Given the tragic event in Boston on Monday, I haven't been very productive this week.  It's hard for me to paint a beautiful scene when I feel sad.  Art is such an emotional and personal process, even when painting landscapes.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Hey Cathy,

That top photograph is truly beautiful, the colours are magical and amazing and I could look at it all day. The poem is truly lovely too.

So sorry to hear you are finding it hard to create due to the tragedy. Hope you will be able to see the light and paint again soon :)

Love, Katie. XXX

Cathy said...

Thanks so much, Katie : )

Hastypearl said...

I have always been a sunset girl. They seem to last longer, than a sunrise.
I wonder how many busy peopl never notice either in their busy days...
There are things that are going to come and go in our lives, but the up and down and the surety of the sky is certain.
My cousin lives in West, Texas. It hasn't gotten the press that Boston did...ironically, I had a friend there as well, but everyone, with a Higer Powers' help, will get through these events...
Gotta Trust On and Create On, too!

Megan Dunbar said...

god these are just wonderful. Thankyou

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...