The art of sketching

Feb 3, 2010

On a recent trip to the library, I picked up a book called Sketchbooks: The Hidden Art of Designers, Illustrations & Creations by Richard Brereton.  I'm always intrigued by other artist's sketches, and this book (which happens to look like a sketchbook), features works from over 40 artists.

I appreciate the scope of art represented in the book, from scribbles on a page to detailed portrait drawings. Although there are artist introductions, the book is really more of a photo montage of the artists' sketches. 



Artists: Agnes Decourchelle, Anna Giertz, Renato Alarcão, Pablo Amargo

The artist's sketchbook is a visual diary of raw creative energy, and many times, personal reflection.  I like what graphic designer Frédérique Daubel has to say about this.
My sketchbooks allow me to be free, to express myself without boundaries. . . Keeping sketchbooks helps me to empty my brain, while making connections between ideas without judgment.  Once something is in my sketchbook I can forget about it, and then find it later.
Art is as much about the process as it is the end product- something that I need to remind myself of more often. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...