Turning forty

Mar 29, 2012


I'm officially four decades old today.  According to my daughters, I've graduated from being old to really old.  I don't usually give much thought to aging, but this birthday has been a little different.  After all, I can remember my mother at this age, and I swear the gray hairs and wrinkles are multiplying at an accelerated rate this week.

It's also strange to think that I've outlived famous people like Marilyn Monroe, Vincent Van Gogh, Bruce Lee, Mozart, and Martin Luther King.  Their lives are forever immortalized in museums, film, and books.  Not that I'm striving to be famous, but it does make me think about my own legacy.  What does the last 20 years have to say about me, and what do I want the next 20 years to look like?

As I turn forty, I realize my life is shifting gears from chasing to slowing down- which is a very good thing.  I still have big dreams, but more than ever, I feel content with where I'm at.  Thus, no big party or hoopla for my birthday.  Just a quiet day at home . . . and maybe a couple of salted caramels to celebrate. 

11 comments:

Anna said...

Happy, happy birthday!! I think this generation of 40 year olds look much younger than the previous one. At least I find you looking very, very young for being forty :)

Anna said...

Also - thank you for being such an inspiration!

Cathy said...

Thanks, Anna! I have been told that I look young for my age. I attribute that to my Asian genes and growing up in the Pacific Northwest [lots of moisture, little sun] :)

Jenna said...

happy birthday! i'll be 37 this year, and i wouldn't trade it for my twenties again for anything. the things i worried about then were ridiculous!! enjoy this new decade, and the many hopefully to follow :)

Charissa - The Gifted Blog said...

Yay, happy 40th, Cathy! A good friend and mentor just turned 39 this week and it's inspiring for me to see the wisdom and character God has given her in the past decade. Makes me excited to be 30. I hope you savored those salted caramels - here's to a great year!

belinda marshall said...

happy birthday!! it's a nice age to reach. have a peaceful one.
we are the same age for a couple of days :)
xx

katie d. said...

Happy Birthday, Dear Friend. It's true, folks, she looks extremely young for her age! :) Wish I were there to celebrate YOU! I admire you on so many levels.

Sasha said...

Happy Birthday! There must be something in the air as I turn 40 in half a month...Hope you have a wonderful day.

Sasha

Erin said...

Happy Birthday Cathy!! I did not know you had Asian genes in you :) I am turning 40 in 3months too. Have a great year!

HomeCollection. said...

Oh, happy (belated) birthday !!

sarah jean, said...

happy belated cathy!
i don't know if kd told you yet, but they were here on your birthday and when it was spoken, 'cathy is 40 today!' both girls said, something to the effect of 'she looks and seems way younger than 40' and i think coming from the mouths of children, that says a lot ;)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...