New works

Feb 25, 2011

This photograph of a tree was taken last summer at Lake Tahoe.  Continuing with my experiments with image transfers, I made a print of the photograph to transfer onto canvas.  It unfortunately didn't turn out as vibrant as I had hoped, so I painted over the image.  I actually ended up covering most all of the original tree image, as evidenced by the photo on the right. 

Whenever I mix up an indigo color, I can't help but think of traditional Japanese fabric designs.  In the same way, when I use earthy reds, I think of Native American art.  You can see both of these influences in the new painting I titled Starry Sky.

To create a clear, glossy top coat, I brushed on a thick layer of acrylic gel medium.  When dry, the acrylic medium gives the painting a wet look, which is a great effect.  However, I applied the medium a little too thick, causing the turquoise paint to crack a bit.  It's not terribly noticeable, but I went ahead and added the painting to the sale section of my Etsy shop.

For the past few days, I've also been working on 100% recycled drawing paper.  Normally I create pen and ink drawings on the Kraft-like paper, but I primarily used acrylic paint this time around.  The two new works feel more like sketches to me, so I debated uploading them into my Etsy shop.  But I enjoy sketches from other artists as much as their polished works, so I decided to add the new pieces to the shop.  The one on the left is called Peak and the one on the right is Valley.


June rhymes with moon said...

love the brown paper pieces! I used to love drawing on kraft paper when there was a roll of it at school to use :)

I like that the recycled paper is eco friendly and biodegradable, but do you know if it's very permanent? I have a terror of selling something to someone and having it change color or go funky in some way. I've been using stonehenge tinted papers when I want a color but I do miss that darker, scratchier texture of kraft paper.

Cathy said...

Janelle, I have wondered about the longevity of sketch paper myself. So I price these works relatively low. Seeing that a lot of artists are using old book pages and ruled paper nowadays, I don't worry too much about the 70lb, chemical-free sketch paper I use.

I also think most people who buy art created on sketch paper understand that the material is not museum quality. Although the last time I went to the Portland Art Museum, there was a whole wall of Richard Tuttle's watercolor drawings on notebook paper!

gretchenmist . . . {belinda} said...

i LOVE the sketch on the left. you and i are in sync with colours!! i'm just working with these colours in a new painting!

interesting about the longevity of papers. so many people buy beautiful work made with the best quality materials and put them into ikea frames and mounts {nothing acid-free there}.

i think it's good that you put them into your shop.

June rhymes with moon said...

that makes a lot of sense, Cathy. I agree, people should understand the difference. I think I would feel obligated to make sure that a buyer knew what kind of material I used and then I would be afraid it would put them off. so I've been avoiding the issue by not selling anything that might not be that permanent :)

Belinda, I actually use some ikea frames and other ready-made frames when I'm exhibiting...I think it's fine as long as I replace the mats and put a backing in behind the piece = nothing touching the piece itself that's not acid free. and I have a vague memory that ikea is now selling acid free mats in the frames...? but they definitely weren't acid free before.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...